Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I Joined a Super Fun Scrapping Contest

Saturday, I read about a really cool contest held by The Scrapbook Site. It's called "So You Think You Can Scrap". They say that the concept was based on their love of reality TV. Of course I was all over that like white on rice, being the reality TV junkie that I am! For 8 weeks, you have to enter a layout that satisfies that week's challenge. On Sunday's all the contest participants vote for their 3 favorites via private messaging. All design team members have votes as well. Nobody knows the standings and nobody gets eliminated. At the end of the 8 weeks, the winner will be revealed. The winner will receive 3 free kits (awesome!!!) and a Karen Foster calendar kit!!!

I'm not allowed to post my layouts on any other on-line galleries, but I am allowed to post them on my blog, so I will share them with you as I create them.

Week 1:
Old School Challenge: Create a layout using pictures, techniques, and if possible, supplies from the year you starting scrapping. For me, the year was 2005. Of course I was a little disappointed that I had to make a layout reminiscent of my beginning scrapping days! But it was fun! Here's what I came up with:

Back when I started, I was big into Stampin' Up! supplies, as my sister was a consultant. All the paper used here is SU cardstock. Since then I've discovered textured paper, LOL!

The technique for me was all about paper piecing; from the handmade frame to the title. The title was generated from printing in reverse on cardstock and cutting out with scissors. No wishblade for me...

Embossing, chalking, drawing, and stitching round out my circa 2005 techniques. :) The lizard is a stamp; the other designs are hand-drawn.

Journaling: In February 2005, I went to Arizona to visit a good friend who had moved out there. Boy, was I blown away be the beauty I saw!!! The sky was such that I felt as if I could reach up and touch the clouds…I had never seen such large fluffy clouds so low to the ground before. The landscapes were incredible and woven from many gorgeous colors. The cacti were so prolific… they were almost like weeds. Although I heard that these plants are very old and it takes about 80 years for one to sprout an arm.
This East Coast girl will never forget the beautiful Arizonian landscapes!


Supplies: Cardstock and linen fiber: Stampin' Up!; embossing powder: Ranger Industries; Chalk: Colorbox by Clearsnap; Pens: Staedtler

Week 2
Choose an Elsie Flannigan sketch:
This was a fun one! The rules were we had to select a sketch (and there were 28 to choose from!), use patterned paper from at least 2 manufacturers, and use at least 3 photos. Other than that, we had complete artistic freedom. Here's what I came up with:

Journaling: From the moment you were born, Alex, Daddy and I thought you were so beautiful. Then you developed your sweet and loving personality. Beautiful...inside and out!

Supplies: Cardstock: Bazzill Basics; Patterned paper: Junkitz, American Crafts, Provo Craft; Flowers: Bazzill Basics; Gems: Darice; Pens: Signo Uniball and Staedtler.

Thanks for looking and stay tuned for other contest editions!

4 comments:

Kristi Smith said...

I started in Feb. of 2004 so paper piecings were where it was "at"! I hated doing those hand cut titles, although I still do one every once in awhile!!! You did a great job! Love your Elsie inspired one too, love all the flowers and patterned papers!!!

Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

SO nice Amy....i am LOVING the Elsie layout...you know me and how much i enjoy flowers..those look great with the gems in them....

See ya Friday!

Jenn

Theresa Tyree said...

You've done an awesome job on this contest so far! You're a contender, for sure!!
PS- your girls are dollies and your hubby looks so strong and protective. I bet you feel safe in his arms. :o)

Janette said...

Oh Amy this LO is gorgeoussssssss!!!!! I love the bright colours and the touch of black. This rocks!!!!! YOU THE WOMAN!!!! =D